We are proud to reproduce such a long awaited announcement.
TULSA, OKLAHOMA (31 May 2019) — The Adélie Linux Release Engineering Team is pleased to announce the immediate release of Adélie Linux 1.0-BETA3 for all supported platforms. Learn more about Adélie Linux on our Web site.
Please note: This is a test release of Adélie Linux. While every care has been taken to ensure the stability of the system, features and packages may be missing or may not function correctly. You should always back up your computer’s data before you install a new Linux distribution. This release is being actively tested on multiple platforms. It is highly recommended that you use a dedicated computer or virtual machine to learn the environment until you are comfortable with using the Adélie Linux system and its package manager (apk).
Tier 1 platforms supported for this release: 32-bit PowerPC, 64-bit PowerPC, 32-bit Intel x86, 64-bit Intel x86, 64-bit ARM (AArch64).
Tier 2 platforms supported for this release: ARMv7.
- GCC has been updated to 8.3.0, and the entire distribution has been rebuilt using it.
- gcompat has been updated to support more glibc software. libucontext has been updated to support all Tier 1 architectures.
- The Go programming language is now available on all Tier 1 architectures via gcc-go.
- Ghostscript is now available, which allows most printers to function using CUPS and Gutenprint.
- Java is now available on all Tier 1 architectures.
- LLVM and Clang have been updated to 8.0.0. Additionally, our LLVM package now supports the SPARC and WebAssembly targets.
- The MATE desktop environment is now available on all Tier 1 architectures.
- MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) support, used by many digital cameras, has been added.
- NetworkManager and ModemManager are now available on all Tier 1 architectures, and have been tested and are known to work.
- Qt 5 Speech is now packaged, allowing some applications to deliver text-to-speech functionality.
- XScreenSaver is now available.
- Development: Sphinx and Subversion are now available on all Tier 1 architectures.
- Fonts: Nearly 50 new fonts have been added.
- KDE: Applications has been updated to 19.04.1, Frameworks have been updated to 5.54.0.
- Networking: iw, netqmail, Netsurf, NFS, NMap, Postfix, RDesktop, and WireGuard are now available on all Tier 1 architectures.
- Productivity: AbiWord, Evince, Gnumeric, and LibreOffice are now available on all Tier 1 architectures.
- …and over a thousand other enhancements, upgrades, and fixes!
Support for ARMv7 is offered on a limited testing basis only, and ARMv7 remains a Tier 2 architecture. The
system repository is available for ARMv7 in Adélie Linux 1.0-BETA3. The
user repository is not available.
64-bit ARM (AArch64)
Full support for the Raspberry Pi 3 has been added to easy-kernel.
An issue with USB booting on 32-bit PowerPC has been fixed.
Many issues involving booting our live and full-install media have been fixed on 64-bit PowerPC. Our 1.0-BETA3 media has been tested on Power Mac G5, IBM POWER6, Raptor Talos II, QEMU KVM, and Raptor Blackbird.
Intel x86 (all)
Media support for EFI has been fixed.
There were 1683 commits to packages.git between 1.0-BETA2 and 1.0-BETA3, by twelve developers:
- A. Wilcox (933)
- Kiyoshi Aman (547)
- zlg (75)
- Luis Ressel (53)
- Max Rees (35)
- Laurent Bercot (15) (author of S6)
- Dan Theisen (12)
- multiplexd (6)
- Bobby Bingham (2)
- Gavin Howard (2)
- Samuel Holland (2)
- Brandon Bergren (1)
We welcomed Luis Ressel (aranea@) and sysvinit@ as a committer during this release cycle.